This is not a cake you would eat with a cup of tea but it is certainly a great starter or a side dish for a main course. Spinach is in season in April and this is a great way to use it. This recipe will make about 8 muffin sized cakes.
- 340g Spinach (tough stalks removed if there are any)
- 115g ricotta cheese (or low fat cottage cheese)
- 115g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Pulse the spinach in small batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the ricotta (or cottage cheese), parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper, stir and combine well.
- Grease 8 cups of a muffin tray with a little oil or butter and then divide the spinach mixture among the greased cups (they will be very full).
- Bake the spinach cakes until set – about 20 minutes. Let them stand in the pan for 5 minutes before you loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan.